[Sidefx-houdini-list] sand inside glass container

Marco Melantonio mmelantonio at gmail.com
Wed May 2 11:45:51 EDT 2018

Hi Gerbrand.

I just did a shot like that but unfortunately they changed the camera to a
closeup shot and we don't had time to increase the resolution due the
dealine..
https://vimeo.com/267591296

But the collisions worked fine.

The mainly issues that we had were:

- The girl animation was to fast, so I had to increase gravity and sub
steps a lot (6 to 7 times I guess)
- The final sand resolution must be ridiculous high. We tried to use Sand
Upres, but it has limitations...
- I was expecting a bounce of sand particles when the girl hits the ground
but I couldn't find a way.
- I tried to render a UpRes sim inside Maya using Houdini Engine, but 64Gb
of memory wasn't enough.

Pay attention to your scene scale.
Tweak your collisions like when simulating flip fluids.

I migrate to Houdini a year ago and that was my first time using the grain
solver, so probably there are more things that I missed.

There is a high resolution sand simulation baked to switch, but we are
trying to render. Probably we will have to render in Houdini using Mantra
because Maya with Arnold are crashing every try.

Any tips with this would be great too!

Good Luck

Marco