[Sidefx-houdini-list] Houdini.env and external otl folder

Stephen Tucker stucker at allegrodigital.com
Thu Jan 25 15:00:10 EST 2018

Ha, I was just looking at this stuff earlier today

   1. If you really want to put your stuff in "D:/otls" you *can *however
   I'd like to remind you that you may also just put stuff in your My
   Documents/Houdini16.5/otls folder and Houdini will pick it up without you
   needing to do anything to your environment
   2. I would suggest you update your otls each version of Houdini since
   underlying code can change. You might find that they're fine, but you might
   find that they need to be fixed. Better to do a regression test each time
   you go to a new major version and be sure that stuff is still working as
   expected. Therefore I do not suggest you have an "all version" location
   3. As Jon says, you point to the parent. If your folder is D:/otls you
   need to point Houdini Path to "HOUDINI_PATH = D:/;&" this means it will
   search D:/ for your scripts, otls, desktops etc.
   4. Updating the scanpath is a legitimate alternative. But I'd still
   suggest that if you're at home, and not running a facility, you might
   consider just keeping it in C:\Users\username\Documents\houdini16.5\otls