[Sidefx-houdini-list] Sidefx-houdini-list Digest, Vol 589, Issue 6

Ben Laidlaw Ben at laidlawfx.com
Thu Jan 25 12:42:56 EST 2018


Hello,

For a pretty good intro to Houdini Pipeline watch Jeff Wagner webinar on
vimeo. It will catch you up real quick.
https://vimeo.com/243231727

As far as version less control $HOUDINI_PATH is inherently version less and
allows you to string together as many directories as possible, and
example would be:
$HOUDINI_PATH = "P:/projectA/houdiniDirectory;
P:/studioFiles/houdiniDirectory; P:/Redhsift/HoudiniFiles; &"
This will allow you to link in hundreds of houdini modifications to the
package, plus allow you to string multiple libraries of hdas for instance,
including priority.

As far as version specific use $HSITE, this only accepts one path, however,
this is for major/minor version specific files of Houdini like compiled .dll
$HSITE = "P:/studioTools/houdiniDirectory;" and the subdirectories are
houdini16.0, houdini16.5 etc.. and housini will auto load those directories.

Also the only thign i would say is a bad idea is to use Houdini.env to set
environment variables. Just make a wrapper on launch of houdini to set
those two variables and you have near maximum control of your directory
structure with minimum environment variables setup. Plus
dynamically changing say projects on the farm is a lot easier.  If you
watch Jeff's video you'll get a good understanding of why I am saying that.

Good luck.
-Ben

------------------------------

Message: 4
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2018 17:07:27 +0100
From: Olivier Jeannel <facialdeluxe at gmail.com>
To: sidefx-houdini-list at sidefx.com
Subject: Re: [Sidefx-houdini-list] Houdini.env and external otl folder
Message-ID:
        <CAJwag8xvn0zqA_tCQoLcy484=_tp4gJZF-Fi8Fiy3pzqsjM4ow at mail.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"

Hi there and thank you all for your answers :)

As Robert mentioned I tried
HOUDINI_PATH = "C:/ProgramData/Redshift/Plugins/Houdini/16.0.705;D:/otls;&"
(having 2 paths in HOUDINI_PATH variable)
But this didn't work, the hda didn't appear in the contextual menu (while
RedShift was still present).

On the other hand,
HOUDINI_PATH = "C:/ProgramData/Redshift/Plugins/Houdini/16.0.705;&"
HOUDINI_OTLSCAN_PATH="D:/otls;&"
Did the job !

Jon, I'm a bit confuse. I wanted to create an "all version" external otls
folder, so I don't need to duplicate at each update of Houdini
Bad idea you think ?

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 12:00 PM, <sidefx-houdini-list-request at sidefx.com>
wrote:

> Send Sidefx-houdini-list mailing list submissions to
>         sidefx-houdini-list at sidefx.com
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>         https://lists.sidefx.com:443/mailman/listinfo/sidefx-houdini-list
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>         sidefx-houdini-list-request at sidefx.com
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
>         sidefx-houdini-list-owner at sidefx.com
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of Sidefx-houdini-list digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
>    1. Houdini.env and external otl folder (Olivier Jeannel)
>    2. Re: Houdini.env and external otl folder (Robert Okker)
>    3. Re: Houdini.env and external otl folder (jon parker)
>    4. Re: Houdini.env and external otl folder (Olivier Jeannel)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2018 16:22:04 +0100
> From: Olivier Jeannel <facialdeluxe at gmail.com>
> To: sidefx-houdini-list at sidefx.com,  "softimage at listproc.autodesk.com"
>         <softimage at listproc.autodesk.com>
> Subject: [Sidefx-houdini-list] Houdini.env and external otl folder
> Message-ID:
>         <CAJwag8wYR301Z4xVceNz_TKo54eD9gTWRcx+MDLyhOVE6yHnJg@
> mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
>
> Hi there,
>
> I'm trying to put all my personnal HDA into an external folder, something
> like :
> D:\otls
>
> I tried to modify the HOUDINI_PATH in the houdini.env text file, but no
> luck.
>
> I already have
> HOUDINI_DSO_ERROR = 2
> PATH = "C:/ProgramData/Redshift/bin;$PATH"
> HOUDINI_PATH = "C:/ProgramData/Redshift/Plugins/Houdini/16.0.705;&"
>
> Pointing to redshift
>
> How can I add another folder to point to ?
> I tried to add this line after
> HOUDINI_PATH = "D:/otls;&"
>
> but this is not working ...at all.
>
> Thank's :)
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2018 16:30:21 +0100
> From: Robert Okker <robert.okker at darlings-post.com>
> To: sidefx-houdini-list at sidefx.com
> Cc: "softimage at listproc.autodesk.com"
>         <softimage at listproc.autodesk.com>
> Subject: Re: [Sidefx-houdini-list] Houdini.env and external otl folder
> Message-ID:
>         <CACK3Zdu6bU-+pR55hcAc8ei6V35hsSdDmjwGU3Z0Bm
> qTe0NNWA at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
>
> try using OUDINI_OTLSCAN_PATH=
> or just use HOUDINI_PATH = "C:/ProgramData/Redshift/
> Plugins/Houdini/16.0.705;D:/otls;&"
> every-time you want to add another path just separate them with ;
>
> But don't shoot me if it's not working, i'm definitely not an export on
> this
>
> Robert Okker
> Owner/Head of VFX
> Darlings Post productions
> Tel: + 31(0)20 - 6221900
>
>
> On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 4:22 PM, Olivier Jeannel <facialdeluxe at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I'm trying to put all my personnal HDA into an external folder, something
> > like :
> > D:\otls
> >
> > I tried to modify the HOUDINI_PATH in the houdini.env text file, but no
> > luck.
> >
> > I already have
> > HOUDINI_DSO_ERROR = 2
> > PATH = "C:/ProgramData/Redshift/bin;$PATH"
> > HOUDINI_PATH = "C:/ProgramData/Redshift/Plugins/Houdini/16.0.705;&"
> >
> > Pointing to redshift
> >
> > How can I add another folder to point to ?
> > I tried to add this line after
> > HOUDINI_PATH = "D:/otls;&"
> >
> > but this is not working ...at all.
> >
> > Thank's :)
> > _______________________________________________
> > Sidefx-houdini-list mailing list
> > Sidefx-houdini-list at sidefx.com
> > https://lists.sidefx.com:443/mailman/listinfo/sidefx-houdini-list
> >
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2018 10:50:30 -0500
> From: jon parker <parker.jon at gmail.com>
> To: sidefx-houdini-list at sidefx.com
> Subject: Re: [Sidefx-houdini-list] Houdini.env and external otl folder
> Message-ID:
>         <CA+-CCDhm+Rp48rdmWEcfKm8GHcs7wSdu2KXbvss
> rf-h_ZHL9Dg at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
>
> Hi Olivier,
>
> Two things:   first, if you already have HOUDINI_PATH defined as
> "C:/ProgramData/Redshift/Plugins/Houdini/16.0.705;&", I believe you
> can create a new line like this:
>
> HOUDINI_PATH="D:/otls;$HOUDINI_PATH"
>
> Second, HOUDINI_PATH should be the parent directory where you store
> "otls", as Houdini automatically appends "otls" in its search path.
> In your example case that would simply be "D:".  I would recommend
> creating a folder tree called "D:/houdini16.0/otls" and point your
> HOUDINI_PATH to "D:/houdini16.0".  This way you can keep your OTL
> files separated by Houdini version in the case of major changes with
> Houdini.
>
> HTH,
>
> Jon
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2018 17:07:27 +0100
> From: Olivier Jeannel <facialdeluxe at gmail.com>
> To: sidefx-houdini-list at sidefx.com
> Subject: Re: [Sidefx-houdini-list] Houdini.env and external otl folder
> Message-ID:
>         <CAJwag8xvn0zqA_tCQoLcy484=_tp4gJZF-Fi8Fiy3pzqsjM4ow at mail.
> gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
>
> Hi there and thank you all for your answers :)
>
> As Robert mentioned I tried
> HOUDINI_PATH = "C:/ProgramData/Redshift/Plugins/Houdini/16.0.705;D:/
> otls;&"
> (having 2 paths in HOUDINI_PATH variable)
> But this didn't work, the hda didn't appear in the contextual menu (while
> RedShift was still present).
>
> On the other hand,
> HOUDINI_PATH = "C:/ProgramData/Redshift/Plugins/Houdini/16.0.705;&"
> HOUDINI_OTLSCAN_PATH="D:/otls;&"
> Did the job !
>
> Jon, I'm a bit confuse. I wanted to create an "all version" external otls
> folder, so I don't need to duplicate at each update of Houdini
> Bad idea you think ?
>
> 2018-01-25 16:50 GMT+01:00 jon parker <parker.jon at gmail.com>:
>
> > Hi Olivier,
> >
> > Two things:   first, if you already have HOUDINI_PATH defined as
> > "C:/ProgramData/Redshift/Plugins/Houdini/16.0.705;&", I believe you
> > can create a new line like this:
> >
> > HOUDINI_PATH="D:/otls;$HOUDINI_PATH"
> >
> > Second, HOUDINI_PATH should be the parent directory where you store
> > "otls", as Houdini automatically appends "otls" in its search path.
> > In your example case that would simply be "D:".  I would recommend
> > creating a folder tree called "D:/houdini16.0/otls" and point your
> > HOUDINI_PATH to "D:/houdini16.0".  This way you can keep your OTL
> > files separated by Houdini version in the case of major changes with
> > Houdini.
> >
> > HTH,
> >
> > Jon
> > _______________________________________________
> > Sidefx-houdini-list mailing list
> > Sidefx-houdini-list at sidefx.com
> > https://lists.sidefx.com:443/mailman/listinfo/sidefx-houdini-list
> >
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Subject: Digest Footer
>
> _______________________________________________
> Sidefx-houdini-list mailing list
> Sidefx-houdini-list at sidefx.com
> https://lists.sidefx.com:443/mailman/listinfo/sidefx-houdini-list
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> End of Sidefx-houdini-list Digest, Vol 589, Issue 6
> ***************************************************
>


More information about the Sidefx-houdini-list mailing list