[Sidefx-houdini-list] Alembic from Houdini to Maya - transfer "N" and "v" ?

Fabricio Chamon fabricio.chamon at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 00:38:04 EST 2018

Hey everyone, as the title says.

I have been trying for the last days...no lucky. there might be some
gotchas along the way.

May somebody elaborate on what is the consistent way to transfer normals
and velocities from houdini to maya via alembic **for constant AND changing
topology** ?

I've tried to promote N to various contexts, changing "v" to various names
(v, vel, velocity) and types (vec3flt, 4flt).

I was not able to get MB working and neither normals (viewport looks
terrible, altough it kind of renders correclty).

here are some images to illustrate:

maya viewport normals
<https://www.dropbox.com/s/eyq4igpod72xxd1/tower_viewport.jpg?dl=0> / how
they look inside houdini
<https://www.dropbox.com/s/8xtqcd0te03rc96/tower_viewport_hou.jpg?dl=0>
/ render
comparision in maya
<https://www.dropbox.com/s/rpe75bakwnuwugr/tower_render.jpg?dl=0>

as for the MB, could not get it to work with any settings. (btw using
redshift, with deformation blur turned on)

any help is much appreciated!

thanks guys