[Sidefx-houdini-list] cannot install a new houdini

Peter Bowmar pbowmar at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 10:51:31 EDT 2018

Hi Gerbrand,

I thought I saw something in the logs about this being fixed recently, but
maybe I'm imagining it. I believe that a Windows update "broke" something
to do with multithreading and TBB (the library that does  a lot of the
multithreading in Houdini) but then I think SESI released a newer version
that had a fix.

Someone at SESI will have a better answer than that :)

Cheers,

Peter B

On 27 August 2018 at 06:11, Larry Giunta <larry at gcreativestudios.com> wrote:

> I’m on Mac - so take this for what it’s worth.
>
> I had a similar situation a few months ago after installing a newer build.
> Crashed as soon as Houdini launched.
>
> Turns out it was something to do with my preferences file.
> If I renamed/moved my preferences files, Houdini launched successfully.
>
> It you have a lot set up in your preferences file, it’s a pain because it
> basically start with a fresh preferences file.
> But at least Houdini launched.
>
> I’ve hit the same situation a few more time over the last few months.
> Same solution always works.
>
> But you may be hitting something completely different.
>
>> Larry Giunta
> Creative Director
> G Creative Studios
> (978)276-0600
> www.gcreativestudios.com
>

> > On Aug 27, 2018, at 3:14 AM, Gerbrand Nel <g at cannonballbunny.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi guys.
> > I'm getting this annoying message in my Houdini console.
> > /Houdini has detected a new version of Windows, and may run slower as a
> result.//
> > //Contact SideFX about getting an upgrade to Houdini to address this
> issue.//
> > //To skip printing this message in the future, set the environment
> variable//
> > //TBBMALLOC_PROXY_ENABLE=0
> >
> > /
> > So I download the latest build of Houdini, but it just crashes after I
> install it.
> > I've tried 3 different builds over the last few weeks.
> > All of them just crash when I try and launch them.
> > h 16.5.439 seems to be the latest one I can install and run.
> > Is it just me, or have you guys seen this?
> > Thanks
> > Gerbrand Nel
> >

> > ---
> > https://www.avg.com