[Sidefx-houdini-list] Multiple objects copy

Mark Elendt mark at sidefx.com
Mon Sep 25 12:14:24 EDT 2017

I think the copy SOP will automatically partition based on "zones" if
you turn on "Cache Stamping Geometry".

In this case, Houdini will evaluate all the stamp parameters and put
them into mutually exclusive sets.  The input geometry will only be
cooked once for each exclusive set.  This works best when copying
packed geometry I think.

Cheers,

On Monday Sep 25 at 17:22, Olivier Jeannel wrote:
> Kind of rooky question that I already asked but...
>
> So I have that "problem" with the copy sop (copy to point, whatever) when I
> have to do a copy with multiple input objects.
> It was something really easy within ice with high performances.
>
> I watched the sidefx tutorial, and so far I undertstood they deprecated the
> stamp method for a copy within a loop.It's rather slow.
>
> I also saw a method where it copies all the multiple objects on each point
> and then delete according to the ptnum the undesired copies. it gets very
> slow when you have many different objects to copy and it eats memory.
>
> So I made my "own" method
> The scenario was
> working with packed
> 10 different objects(platonic, torus, sphere, etc)
> I have some scattered point
> I have a noise (float) on the scattered points
> I want to distribute my 10 objects according to the values of that noise
>
> so I divided my noise in 10 zones (based on grey float values)
> I counted howmany of each object there was per zone(@numbperzone)
> I copied each object the good amount
> I placed each copy at its corresponding scattered point
>
> et voilà
>
> now for 10 objects distributed on 350000 points it takes under 10s.
> https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1QqhXD7Y15qVnBqMVhKeWl0dnc
>
> That's my best method for now, but I have now idea if it's worth something.
>
> So how do you guys usually do ?

Mark Elendt