[Sidefx-houdini-list] scene assembly

Miles Green Miles.Green at al.com.au
Mon Sep 25 04:55:15 EDT 2017

in my experience creating a node or digital asset per scene object leads to crazy heavy houdini scenes, you'll maybe get away with it for 10-100 things (maybe chars/props) but past that your asking for trouble and long build times especially when you have sets with hundreds of thousands of objects, even if they are not visible by default

a nice lightweight approach I've seen is to pre-load all your scene things as a pointcloud with filepaths on them (houdini is great with points right) , and then filter/blast and copy/instance as needed into real geo or packed prims.

with the new Houdini USD plugin many studios are starting to look to use that too for houdini scene assembly, as you can have single node entry point to a whole scene then just select what objects/hierarchy that you want to pull in and work with

In maya the USD plugin has the bonus ability to not actually import any geo, and just draw very efficiently via USD's Hydra GL renderer. But unfortunately I believe the current USD plugin for Houdini does not have hydra capabilities and loads the caches as USD packed prims, but that probably still a win over many alembic SOP import nodes, which can get quite slow..