[Sidefx-houdini-list] Houdini problem with edit parameter interface for group "BUTTONS_reselect"

Jordan Walsh jordan.h.walsh at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 10:49:57 EDT 2017

The other option is to make the references point back to the original
node.. if you dont want to promote the other parms

eg, you can take the kwards node and go relative to it.
So kwargs['node'] gives you the node you are running the script from.
kwargs['node'].node('..') gives you the parent node
kwargs['node'] .node('./someOtherNode') will give you a child node called
someOtherNode that is within the subnet.

The new Action Button code would now be:

import soputils
kwargs['geometrytype'] =
kwargs['node'].node('./group1').parmTuple('grouptype')
kwargs['inputindex'] = 0
kwargs['ordered'] = kwargs['node'].node('./group1').parm('ordered').eval()
soputils.selectGroupParm(kwargs)

On another point, this is actually the preferred method of getting to nodes
within your hda if you have a geometry parameter as it supports relative
paths.
Eg, if you had an object merge in your HDA and you promoted the object path
you would want to do:

n = kwargs['node']
myNode = n.node(n.parm('objpath1').eval())

not simply:
myNode = hou.node(kwargs['node'].parm('objpath1').eval())

That way if objpath1 evals to '../../mynode' it will get the correct
relative path and not error.

Jordan