[Sidefx-houdini-list] frustum

Andy Nicholas andy at andynicholas.com
Sat Sep 16 10:08:57 EDT 2017

For individuals, yes, it’d be super handy to have that.

For larger studios, it could make things difficult as that sort of thing needs to be centrally managed, rather than on a per user basis. You don’t want any potential for people to install different versions of tools locally to their users. So it’d be fine as long as there’s a way to disable user installation, say via environment variables.

Personally, I’d rather SideFX pick and choose to integrate specific QLib tools into Houdini itself. For several reasons:

1) To make sure that the nodes conform to Houdini standard workflows and design.
2) To avoid QLib becoming an unsupported semi-official offshoot of Houdini development. For example; what happens if a particular tool in QLib becomes widely used in the Houdini community, but a new release of Houdini doesn’t work with it, I think it would be unlikely that SideFX would start bug fixing QLib as part of the support services. I just think it pays to have a clear line of responsibility. If we decide to install it independently, we know the onus is on us to manage it.
3) I want SideFX to continue pushing their tools and workflows to cover many of the areas that QLib does. That’s what we’re paying for. I’d hate for QLib to become the equivalent of Maya’s “there’s a MEL script to do it”. (don’t worry, I do actually have a lot more faith in SideFX than this!!).
4) Installing and maintaining third party tools is generally a pain, so just bring the good stuff into Houdini for everyone to enjoy without any of these concerns and make it standard.

Nothing against QLib at all though. It’s a great set of tools :)

>>> http://corestudio.com