[Sidefx-houdini-list] softimage pass trick in houdini

Matthew Kearney matt at kearney.co.za
Wed Sep 13 04:24:55 EDT 2017

Hey Gerbrand!
It's not the most intuitive way, but you can do it with Material
Stylesheets.
You can override materials by targeting Objects and applying matte
materials that way.

Sorry I can't provide a scene at the moment - a little rushed at present,
but hope this helps.

Matt.

On 13 September 2017 at 10:15, Gerbrand Nel <g at cannonballbunny.com> wrote:

> Hey guys and girls.
>
> Back when life was simple and softimage was still a thing in my life,
> There was this thing called passes.
>
> I know houdini has takes, and they are awesome, but There was this nifty
> trick in soft where a new empty pass automatically had everything in your
> scene grouped under a "background partition". This gave you the ability to
> assign one material to everything in your scene. You could then remove
> certain elements from that partition to isolate them for render passes.
>
> Can this be done in houdini without having to manually select everything
> you want to overwrite?
>
> My client has asked me to render out a matt of a single object in my
> scene. I would like to make everything black, and this one thing white
> without spending half a day
>
> Thanks

*MATT KEARNEY*
"*Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a persistent one.*" - Albert
Einstein.