[Sidefx-houdini-list] Large images and tiling for tex

Gary Jaeger gary at corestudio.com
Tue Oct 31 10:31:44 EDT 2017

Hi. Full disclosure, while I’m getting to know H wrt to animating and some dynamics, I know very little about mantra/shading/texturing in Houdini.

For an earth animation, I’d like to make use of the really high res blue marble textures (they have them up do 21K in tiled form) but I’m not sure of the best workflow. I tried bringing those monster textures into the compositing environment thinking there might be some auto-proxy mode. I see I can downsample them, but it still seems deadly slow. Also, doing what I thought was natural by adding transform nodes and lining them up didn’t work, or I was doing it wrong as I only ever could see the ‘top’ texture, even though I’d see the outline of the transformed file, but no image. I know, rtfm.. and I am, but looking for some wisdom here.

What would you say is the best workflow for something like this?

Thanks!

Gary Jaeger / 650.728.7957 direct / 415.518.1419 mobile