[Sidefx-houdini-list] scene assembly

Carsten Kolve carsten at kolve.com
Fri Oct 27 00:22:51 EDT 2017

We got something similar in place at Image Engine we do use internally an
open source file format called 'scene cache' (provided by the cortex
project http://image-engine.com/technology/#1487367827331-1e29490d-affa )
 which does provide a single entry point to anything from a simple prop to
a multi layered / multi lod character animation to a full-on-layout - in a
typical scene you probably won't have more than 10 of these nodes in your
scene and usually don't need to use them all. It's up to the artist than to
expand only what they need. We do have an opengl representation of the
data, so you can see what's inside before converting it all to geo.

In practise this manual 'drilling down' approach works great for the more
straightforward use cases ("get me the ground and the preview animation geo
of my characters so I can do a dust-sim"), things get a bit tricky when
dealing with complex layouts etc where you want to make use of the
proceduralism of Houdini - in which case the point cloud (or better bbox)
based approach Miles alluded to can work nicely. Use points or bboxes for
fast preview of whats in the scene, then filter down to what you really
want (using camera culls, name based filters etc.) and only then turn the
result into something you can to work with - emulating a 'katana' or
'gaffer' style workflow.

Carsten

// carsten kolve - www.kolve.com