[Sidefx-houdini-list] State of Houdini HDA versioning across Studios these days - any insights?

Agent Xray xray at agentxray.com
Sun Nov 26 15:19:38 EST 2017

I've been using the basic name spacing, keeping the .hda files
unversioned with multiple definitions inside the file for easy switching.

For example, if the facility was called "xray" and the project "eatme" I
might do something like:

xEatme::doSomethingCool::1.00

and the file might be:

xEatme_doSomethingCool.hda

and the name woud be:

xEatme Do Something Cool
(I use this naming so that the auto complete can key on any portion)

I do wish Houdini supported a fourth namespace so that I could more
easily separate the facility and project.

I also added my own custom context menu to control major/minor
versioning up, and recently integrated this into Perforce to that I can
check in/check out/version up(major/minor)/abandon HDAs during
development without having to go outside Houdini. At another facility
without version control I rolled my own using lock files and copying the
HDA definition from the HSITE repository to the local user folder.