[Sidefx-houdini-list] CHOP invalid source

Sean Lewkiw slewkiw at cinesite.com
Wed Nov 22 08:16:47 EST 2017

I have had a lot of trouble in the past with CHOPs force-cooking OPs
that were not required.  Could it be possible that CHOPs is re-cooking
your entire cloth sim?  I'd make sure that this sim is completely gone
from the scene.

If all you need to do is smooth the jitter of a single point, object
merge that into a new object.  Save it to disc, then in a brand new hip
file load it (with a clamp on the frame range) and do your CHOP thing,
save out and load in the original scene.

Sean

On 2017-11-22 5:04 AM, Jordi Bares wrote:
> I may be shooting from the hip but, may be the approach should be that of a high frequency noise reduction taking in account the level of detail? A Laplacian based smooth could do the job (in a direct able way as well) without having to resort to the cloth transformation which I would bet won’t work for the reasons you state.
>
> My 2 cents
>
> jb
>

>> On 22 Nov 2017, at 09:39, Jerome Pastorello <lordkarington0 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>

>> I have a very strange problem of CHOP.
>> I did some quite heavy cloth simulation that I wanted to stabilize in my scene, jI just compensated the general movement and keep the cloth at the center of the scene by using a simple bound sop and inverting transform the cloth position to the center of its bounding box.
>>
>> Then I wanted to smooth the movement of this point Position (une point only, so 3 channels) because the cloth BB is changing pretty strongly through time.
>>
>> When I import the point with a geometry chop in chops I get an invalid source error, I thought it was coming from the file cache sop so I tried to copy some regular point on it, it kind of worked once, but now it is just calculating a « read back > loading geometry » for ages then I get the error again.
>>
>> I am quite stuck on this with a validated by the client scene. Doesn’t seem to be a logical behaviour at all.
>>
>> Is there any other way to smooth the animation of a point without going to CHOP ?
>> Is there a specific limitation to chops import ?
>>
>> Many thanx.
>>
>> Jérôme

Sean Lewkiw
CG Supervisor

*Cinesite*    Montréal | London
250 rue Saint-Antoine Ouest, Suite 500, Montréal, Québec H2Y 0A3
t: +1 (514) 600 3971 ext 5129
f: +1 (514) 600-0059

Cinesite <http://www.cinesite.com> 	Twitter
<http://twitter.com/Cinesite> 	Facebook