[Sidefx-houdini-list] Blackboxing HDAs - anyone doing it?

Sandy Sutherland sandy.maillists at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 04:52:01 EST 2017

Hello,

We are looking at how to give access to offsite Artists our proprietary
HDAs, so that they can complete modelling and shading tasks that can then
be re-ingested into our pipeline.

I can easily do this from a hip file and include all HDAs in the scene,
using the following command on each node -

mydef = node.type().definition()
mydef.save(newpath, template_node=node, compile_contents=True,
black_box=True)

However I now want to do this for all HDAs that may be accessed from our
pipeline that are specific to a project. For this I can get all
definitions by going through hou.hda.loadedFiles(), and then filtering them
using list comprehension, but now I cannot use the previous command for the
definitions, as I do not have the definitions instanced in my scene, and
therefore do not have access to the hou.node.  I could try and find some
way of
given each definition may have a different typeCategory, and therefore need
to be loaded into a different path.

is there any other way of doing this?

I see methods such as encryptAssets and createEntitlement in
http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/hom/hou/hda.html, but these docs are
incomplete.

Anyone got this kind of thing going?

Thanks