[Sidefx-houdini-list] State of Houdini HDA versioning across Studios these days - any insights?

Sandy Sutherland sandy.maillists at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 04:48:16 EST 2017

Morning all,

A quick question on what everyone is doing to version HDAs in a Houdini
pipeline nowadays?  Would really appreciate getting an insight on what
folks have found works well?

I am working for a Studio that for a long time has been using Houdini for
the Lighting and FX side, but have not really been versioning as such,
other than running a repo of updated otl / hda files that is the master and
is copied into each project structure as the project rolls up.

I personally have developed a versioning system that I like, which is based
off the namespacing that is built into the HDA naming system.  I have a
toolset that allows me to version and swap versions etc.. very easily in
the network view and find it works very well.  However I have been asked to
present all methods that might work so that we can decide on a studio
versioning system going forward.

Thanks for any and all inputs -

Cheers

Sandy