[Sidefx-houdini-list] grid motion

François Duchesneau houdini at trinix.ca
Tue May 23 23:38:58 EDT 2017

Hi Gary,

An easy way would be to convert the line on the grid to an sdf. From
there it's easy to sim the particles with all the randomness your need
and constrain them to follow a very tight range within the sdf.

You can also do the same kind of snapping by using the XYZ Distance and
the Get Primitive functions in a vop pop to force your particles to
always stick to the closest point on the grid lines.

Either way you may have to recalculate the velocity based on the real
displacement of points after the snapping using the pprevious and P. But
it's possible that this kind of accumulated velocity gives nice
randomness in the motion depending on what you're after. Adding a force
noise on top of an attraction force to the center may create something
interesting as well.

Good luck

Francois