[Sidefx-houdini-list] New obfuscation of Lookat - am I the only one saddened?

Andy Nicholas andy at andynicholas.com
Mon May 8 05:45:35 EDT 2017

Uggh. Yep. Couldn't agree more. I love that it's in CHOPs (I wasn't a
fan of the original design - too black box), but it's a poor attempt at
simplifying how people interact with it for so many reasons.

So sure, the GUI presents a simple interface to applying contraints
(aside from the annoying viewport picking). But in 90% of cases you
still need to modify the look-at axis or change the target object, so
you're going to have to drill down anyway and understand the network
(that you didn't create) to change parameters. So why try to hide it in
the first place? Like you guys said already, it needs to add some spare
parameters at the top level so you have direct access.

Looking at the top level object, you're able to tell if an object has
constraints, but you have no idea which constraints it actually has. Not
to mention that you can't remove them or change their order of
evaluation. If you add multiple constraints and drill down to look at
the CHOP network, unless you're quite familiar with constraint CHOP
networks, you'll still have no idea what constraints you have.

Lastly, it's the old case of being able to add nodes into a tree with a
menu system, but good luck if you change or customise the tree yourself.
The result of menu operations probably won't give expected behaviour any
more.

Sorry to the hardworking SideFX dev team but I find the motivations
behind designs like this hard to understand. It's usually as a result of
people saying "it's too complicated, can we simplify" without thinking
it through. Like I said, I don't have a problem with CHOP constraints,
just how it's hidden behind a pointlessly over simplified interface. It
just doesn't add anything.