[Sidefx-houdini-list] New obfuscation of Lookat - am I the only one saddened?

Peter Bowmar pbowmar at gmail.com
Sun May 7 15:16:55 EDT 2017

Hi Francois,

I didn't know about the Chop icon, I have that a try but it will wants me
to select the object from the viewport :(

Almost always I just want to DnD the object into the LookAt parm, not futz
around trying to select something etc etc. It's still a much slower,
clumsier workflow.

Now, if that Chop network added the constraint network _and_ fields so I
could DnD in the lookat object, then we'd have something that IMO would be
best of both worlds.

Like I said, I am happy to have the CHOPs in there, just the workflow is
poor at the moment.

Cheers,

Peter B

On 7 May 2017 at 11:23, François Duchesneau <houdini at trinix.ca> wrote:

> I haven't had the chance to play with it yet but I'm willing to give it a
> chance. There is one thing right away I see could be improved but I don't
> know if there's a reason for not doing it. Instead of writing "constraints"
> only in the Constraints field, if we type "constraints/lookat" then it
> makes it easier to get directly to the parameters on the look at node
> through the arrow.
>
> Also, you don't have to use the shelf, just click on the chop icon next
> the constraints field on your camera and you have the option of creating
> different types of constraints.
>
> Francois
>
> On 05/07/2017 01:27 PM, Peter Bowmar wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Just curious if I'm the only one saddened by the new, much clumsier,
>> Lookat
>> "constraints" on Cameras, Lights etc?
>>
>> I recall commenting on how the multiple levels of obfuscation and lack of
>> UI saddened me before, but now that I actually want to use it for
>> something... wow it really slows down the workflow.
>>
>> -You _must_ use a shelf tool for something that previously was a single
>> drag and drop operation. Massive workflow slowdown.
>>
>> -the actual parameters that get created are buried on nodes inside the
>> object itself (!!) so both obfuscation and a massive workflow slowdown as
>> you jump contexts
>>
>> I get that it's "more powerful" in the sense it's a CHOPnet you can
>> intercept and manipulate, and I think that's great. However the tradeoffs
>> aren't worth it since you don't actually manipulate the CHOP data in 99%
>> of
>> simple "LookAt" cases.
>>
>> I'm not opposed to the actual calculation being done in CHOPs, I love
>> CHOPs
>> like any self-respecting Houdini zealot.
>>
>> I just the think the way the UI and requirement for a shelf-tool has been
>> done is a massive leap backwards and makes me sad :(

Peter B