[Sidefx-houdini-list] New obfuscation of Lookat - am I the only one saddened?

Peter Bowmar pbowmar at gmail.com
Sun May 7 13:27:20 EDT 2017

Hi,

Just curious if I'm the only one saddened by the new, much clumsier, Lookat
"constraints" on Cameras, Lights etc?

I recall commenting on how the multiple levels of obfuscation and lack of
UI saddened me before, but now that I actually want to use it for
something... wow it really slows down the workflow.

-You _must_ use a shelf tool for something that previously was a single
drag and drop operation. Massive workflow slowdown.

-the actual parameters that get created are buried on nodes inside the
object itself (!!) so both obfuscation and a massive workflow slowdown as
you jump contexts

I get that it's "more powerful" in the sense it's a CHOPnet you can
intercept and manipulate, and I think that's great. However the tradeoffs
aren't worth it since you don't actually manipulate the CHOP data in 99% of
simple "LookAt" cases.

I'm not opposed to the actual calculation being done in CHOPs, I love CHOPs
like any self-respecting Houdini zealot.

I just the think the way the UI and requirement for a shelf-tool has been
done is a massive leap backwards and makes me sad :(

Peter B