[Sidefx-houdini-list] Render time inconsistent

Dan Wills gdanzo at gmail.com
Wed May 3 06:07:51 EDT 2017

Hi Jelmer,

I've seen some similar-sounding things sometimes, however at work our
render jobs often share resources (particularly RAM) with other render
tasks on the same node.

If the other tasks are hogs this can make them use swap (which can lead to
these kinds of render times in some cases). Is anything else running on the
machine at the same time as the render?

Is the machine using nearly all of the RAM at the time? What about CPU? -
are all cores fully pegged for the entire time? Is there more network
activity than usual? Are the external resources (alembics, hair caches)

Also, perhaps most importantly, are there any other out-of-the-ordinary
messages in the terminal for the frames that took the extreme time?

There are some cache limit/size parameters that can be used with Mantra
(have a look in Parm Pane->Cog->Rendering Parameters) that can sometimes
help, if/when you're near the default limits. Without knowing a bit more
about what's happening during the slowness, it's hard to say.

Best of luck!
Dan