[Sidefx-houdini-list] geometry format for 3d print

Neil Dickson ndickson at sidefx.com
Mon May 1 13:49:00 EDT 2017

The issue is most likely that the Wireframe SOP converts the curves to
480,000 tube and 479,000 sphere primitives, but obj format doesn't support
spheres and tubes, so gwavefront converts those spheres and tubes to
polygons.  If it's using, let's say, 180 polygons per sphere and 80
polygons per tube, that's about 125 million polygons, which is often
doable, but in this case, it's probably running out of memory.  Instead of
using a Wireframe SOP, I'd recommend trying the PolyWire SOP, which
generates polygon wires directly.

All that said, you may have a lot of difficulty 3D printing that geometry,
(depending on the 3D printing technique, of course).  There are a very
large number of very thin places, and they're not well supported.  If you
add support structure, it will need to be much thinner if you want to be
able to break it off without damaging your piece, and if it's thinner than
the already quite thin geometry, it won't provide much support.  3D
printing services or machines may also outright reject a model with
millions of polygons.  It may be worth consulting with a 3D printing
expert, or the 3D printing service you plan to use, for advice on
considerations for models to be printed.

Cheers,
Neil