[Sidefx-houdini-list] point cloud in shader to live operator

Mark Elendt mark at sidefx.com
Fri Mar 24 15:19:42 EDT 2017

I believe Houdini itself supports the op: syntax on point clouds.  But
not necessarily in mantra.  Mantra doesn't know about the nodes in
Houdini.  So, you can use op: in SOPs or wrangles, but not easily in
shaders.

On the other hand, in H16, if the op: path specifies the path to a
SOP, AND, the SOP is sent to the IFD (i.e. rendered), then I believe
the op: syntax should work in mantra now.  The hairgen/groom process
uses this.

On Friday Mar 24 at 12:01, Tom Nixon wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> I am unsure as to whether I'm having a false memory here. I have at least
> one confirmation in-house of Houdini once supporting op syntax in the file
> path for a pointcloud on a shader, but others are telling me it never did.
>
> I recall being about to put op:/obj/path/to/node and getting the desired
> result. I'm finding now that I have to cache that out to disk to get it
> working.
>
> Am I totally off, and it was never supported, or is this a bug?
>
> Thanks,
> Tom

Mark Elendt