[Sidefx-houdini-list] OT: 13inch laptop for occasional noodling in Houdini...

Dan Yargici danyargici at gmail.com
Sat Jul 15 11:49:25 EDT 2017

Thanks for the input everyone.

Bear in mind I'm replacing my creaking old 15" Asus G1Sn with it's 4gigs of
RAM, Centrino CPU and crappy old GeForce 9500m...  Even with these specs
I've been pleasantly surprised with what I can push out if it, so this will
be a *huge* step up from what I've become accustomed to.  Also, my Asus is
3kg! (6.83 lbs) so having something I can throw in my bag on a whim is a
huge factor in my decision making here.

To be honest I'll mostly be just browsing, writing documents and all the
usual stuff and anything I do 3d-wise will just be experimental proof of
concept tests.  I've seen Houdini run on a 13' XPS and I honestly didn't
find it bad at all both performance and resolution to screen-size ratio
wise.  Plus it only had integrated Intel (pre-iris) graphics.

I've heard good things said about the potential of the MX150 as you can see
here:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-MX150-Benchmark-and-Specs-of-the-GT-1030-for-Laptops.223530.0.html

One last question is how much of a resource hog is Windows 10?  I'll
probably just run Linux %95 of the time tbh.  It's all I currently use both
at work and at home, but I'm still curious to know if there would be a
night and day difference between the two.  The last Windows I touched was
Windows 7 (My Asus shipped with Vista - it's that old!).

Matt, out of curiosity, is your Surface Pro 4 an 8gb or 16gb model?

Rasmus, I definitely hear what you're saying and I'm very conscious of the
fact that I'm uncertain, but I need to keep reminding myself that the
primary use of this machine will be mundane day-today tasks and consumimg
media, the ability to do 3d work will be a secondary bonus.  Like I said,
at this price point, I see nothing that touches this outside of the RAM
concern.  A decent selection of ports is also a really big draw for me.

Thanks again for the replies everyone, they're much appreciated; and sorry
again for the OT noise...

Dan.