[Sidefx-houdini-list] OT: 13inch laptop for occasional noodling in Houdini...

François Duchesneau houdini at trinix.ca
Fri Jul 14 15:40:19 EDT 2017

Hi Dan,

I'm looking at just the CPU and you'd get 5242 on cpu benchmarks.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-7500U+%40+2.70GHz&id=2863

This is a bit stronger than my old MSI laptop with an i5 that I bought
in 2011. It's enough to do any sort of production like you said but I'm
pretty sure it will work for testing features or learning, that kind of
thing. My current laptop has an i7-5700hq and I've done a few jobs with
it without having any complains.

Personnally I wouldn't buy any computer with a U processor and would
stick to higher processor like hq was back when I bought mine. I'm not
sure how they're called now. 8GB of ram is such a limitation too whereas
16GB allows you to do a lot more.

Just make sure you're not expecting to do any heavy calculation.

Francois