[Sidefx-houdini-list] Creating a shelf tool for custom otl

Tony Atherton tony_atherton at hotmail.co.uk
Wed Jul 12 06:07:44 EDT 2017

Hi,

I've got a custom otl which has 3 inputs. I want to create a shelf tool which displays custom prompts to the user and gets them to select three different sop nodes, which I can connect as inputs in to a new instance of my otl. I've managed to get this to work using the OPbindings file, but if I put just my otl information in an OPbindings file in my ~/houdini16.0 directory it breaks things in Houdini (various handles for nodes etc), so unless I take a complete copy of this file from the install directory to my ~/houdini16.0 directory and append my otl information to it, it doesn't work . This method is not ideal as I'm in a production environment and I don't really want to have to update this file every time there's a new build installed.

I know there's got to be a python way of doing this and I have found the hou.sceneViewer.selectGeometry function, which seems like it will do a lot of the work. I would still need to build some code around this though to connect the nodes, check for errors etc., so I'm wondering if anyone could offer any advice before I spend an afternoon writing lots of code which I'm guessing someone from sidefx must have already written somewhere and I'm just missing.

Cheers,

Tony