[Sidefx-houdini-list] OTL or HDA made simple ?

Jordi Bares jordibares at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 06:25:09 EST 2017

Sent from my iPhone

> On 28 Jan 2017, at 10:30, Olivier Jeannel <facialdeluxe at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi list !
>
> Until now, when I'm building a tool in Houdini that I want to keep and
> reuse later, This is what I usualy do :
>
> - select the nodes
> - turn them into a Subnet
> - Assets menu / New digital Assets From Selection
>
> This is cool, but each time you need to have it encapsuled inside a subnet.
> Sometime I'd like to simply save for example one AttribWrangle, or one
> VOPsop "as is" with it's content.
>
> Is this possible ?

You may want to look at presets and galleries instead of overloading Houdini with a gazillion HDAs

> Also,
> Is it possible to have HDA behave localy ? I mean, the last HDA I made, I
> decided to modify it after I used it in several scenes.
> When I reopened the scenes, they were all screwed because they were calling
> that modified HDA.
> Can I have an HDA and make it "stay local" even if I modify the base HDA in
> C:\Users\admin\Documents\houdini15.5\otls ?

Dont save your asset after editing, sabe the scene and a local definition will be stored inside your scene without affecting your master asset.

Also you could version up assets so you will have multiple asset definitions inside one HDA but dot abuse it, can be tricky to follow so be careful.

If you want to be fancy and allow for sophisticated approaches I would suggest to use version control and a "sandbox" approach. That way you will be able to develop, test and deploy, although that part is a pipeline task you will have to build yourself.

Hope it helps
Jb