[Sidefx-houdini-list] randomize P[y]

Neil Dickson ndickson at sidefx.com
Fri Jan 20 13:30:11 EST 2017

"While P works in the Attribute Name (and randomizes all three values),
P[y] doesn’t. Why is that?"

Sorry for the silly answer, but it's because "P[y]" isn't an attribute
name.  I agree that it's a bummer that it doesn't yet have a special case
to write to just *part* of an attribute, something like "P.y" or "P[1]"
meaning the second component of P.  Please feel free to submit an RFE.  You
can also write to an attribute named y, and then do @P.y = @y; in an
Attribute Wrangle afterward.

It's also just VEX inside, and most of the distributions are just
delegating to VEX functions for sampling the distribution, so you can put
together a custom thing fairly easily.  What distribution did you want to
sample for the P.y values?

Cheers,
Neil