[Sidefx-houdini-list] jumping to H16 - mac

rvinluan rvinluan at sidefx.com
Fri Feb 24 14:32:10 EST 2017

Hi Larry,

That's the correct Qt that you quoted below.

Houdini uses Qt for various UI aspects such as window management and
event handling, and also for building complete interfaces for some pane
tab types (i.e. embedded help browser and the new autorigs tool) as well
as some pop-up dialogs like the ones used in the new network editor.

Prior to the 16.0 release Houdini was built against Qt 4.8.5 but for
16.0 Houdini was ported to Qt 5.6.1 partly because of the VFX Reference
Platform (www.vfxplatform.com) and partly because Qt 4 has hit the end
of its support life.

The jump from Qt4 to Qt5 was a big one so for Houdini 16 we decided to
additionally provide Qt4 builds for studios that are unable to switch to
Qt5 at this time and for users who run into UI glitches that we were
unable to catch during the alpha phase.  So think of Houdini 16 as the
transition release for Qt4 and Qt5 however moving forward we would like
to eventually support only Qt5.  This means that future Houdini 16.0
builds will continue to support Qt4 but no guarantee for future major or
minor releases (i.e. > Houdini 16.0).

So if the H16 Qt4 build works better for you then great!  That's why
it's there.  But please if possible submit any bugs that you encounter
with the main Qt5 builds so that we can iron them out for future releases.

I saw the bug report for the MPlay dock problem and luckily we were able
to reproduce the bug (though it's only happened once for us so far).

As for the errors when launching H16 from command line, can you post the
error messages here?  Or submit a bug if one has not been submitted yet?

Thanks!

Cheers,
Rob