[Sidefx-houdini-list] advect along surface

Olex P hoknamahn at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 18:54:26 EDT 2016

Hi Gary,

If I understand you correct, I would sample velocity from a volume, then
transform it into a tangent (uv / whatever) space of the "mesh", find new
position in the same space and finally transform that position from uv /
tangent space into 3d space.
How exactly you do that is another question. It really depends what are you
after.
Another method would be computing position as p' = p + dv, where dv is
velocity per frame and then doing correction of that new position p' by
volume gradient (i.e. pushing position along the normal to the surface).
This one is fully 3d, but you need a wide enough band in the volume.