[Sidefx-houdini-list] Best particle references

Gary Jaeger gary at corestudio.com
Thu Oct 27 12:12:55 EDT 2016

I’m digging into another project. Ye olde particle instances (cubes, spheres, etc) flowing along a path with some randomness. The kind of thing I can do in Maya and Mash pretty easily but seems like something I should be able to tackle in houdini. I’ve figured out the emitter flowing along paths, and finally figured out that I also needed to add a instance thing underneath the import_location (why is that, btw?) because my popinstance would show up in the scene but not render. That took a while.

But the things I’m used to being able to bang out quickly - size over life, controlled randomness in size and position, assigning random shaders, etc etc - are all new. Any suggestions on where to go to get up to speed on those workflows?

One thing I have been finding is that it seems as if Houdini has changed the way it does things over the years. So some older tutorials contain references to things like vop sops that are gone.

Anyway, any suggestions on things to ready and/or watch is appreciated.

Gary Jaeger / 650.728.7957 direct / 415.518.1419 mobile