[Sidefx-houdini-list] Multiple copy inputs

Andy Nicholas andy at andynicholas.com
Thu Oct 13 05:48:06 EDT 2016

Hi Olivier,

Possible options for speed up:

* Pack your input primitives first. Either do it yourself, or use the
setting on the Copy SOP. Generally I'd imagine it's better to do it
yourself as you can tell it to only pack each of your primitives once,
but I've not done any memory/speed performance testing on that.
* Split your points into separate groups manually and copy each
primitive onto the corresponding set of points. Means you don't have to
stamp, so should be a lot faster.
* Use a pointwrangle to set the instancepath attribute. Then use the
Instance SOP to create packed geometry on each point. You can unpack if
you want. It's still faster than copy stamping.

Here's example VEX code for setting the instancepath:

    string @instancepath;
    string str_arr[] = {"op:/obj/geo_sphere", "op:/obj/geo_torus",
    "op:/obj/geo_box"};
    @instancepath = str_arr[@ptnum%len(str_arr)];
    float @pscale = 1.0;

* You could also consider using a VEX Wrangle node in a variety of
different ways to copy the geometry, but that's a much longer
discussion, and considerably more work. You do have the option though of
figuring out the best way to parallelize the operation.

Using the Instance SOP is generally fastest as long as you don't need to
do anything else to each instance. If you need something more complex
and still need performance, then VEX is usually hard to beat, but there
are plenty of caveats depending on your particular situation.

Cheers,
Andy