[Sidefx-houdini-list] GL-Shading problems on MacPro-

jed schwartz jed at jedschwartz.com
Wed Nov 16 21:23:39 EST 2016

Hi list,

Since running H15.5 I’m finding that  GL-Shading in not behaving well on our MacPro systems, sometimes taking a minute or more to update - I can easily toss the camera around in the SceneView without any problem, but when I toggle the display or double click to go inside any of the digital assets I get the deadly spinning wheel..

The hip file I’m working with is calling in a large array of assets- I’m using only a headlight shader with materials (and textures) displayed.

The assets all contain quite a few file sops, some 50+..  most are set to load "packed disk primitives”  The previous version of these assets did NOT use packed disk primitives and I did not have this problem..  I wonder if this might be contributing the slow behavior-?

I’m running H15.5.655 on a new MacPro (soup can):

2.7 GHz-  12-Core Intel Xeon E5
Memory 64 GB  1866 MHz DDR3 ECC
Solid State start-up drive
Graphics AMD FirePro D700 6144 MB

I didn’t have this problem running releases prior to H15.5..

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who might have thoughts on the cause and or possible solutions to this issue?

Thanks!

Jed-