[Sidefx-houdini-list] Z-Depth Fog Matte / Z Composite

Floyd Gillis floyd at afcg.com
Wed Nov 16 20:52:27 EST 2016

Hello List,

A couple of questions...

1.
I'm rendering a shot with mantra using Atmosphere with Z-Depth Fog.
Is there a simple way to render "matte" elements that don't contribute
to the fog?
Some elements are transparent so I can't use Pz to add fog in comp.
If the solution isn't "simple" and requires some VOP editing, I'd
appreciate detailed instructions.

2.
Have been trying to composite elements using Houdini's "Z Composite" node.
Have info from documentation and PQ's "Zdepth Passes" video but am still
getting artifacts on edges.
Have tried various settings but get best results with "Pz, Float Type,
32 bit float, Closest Surface, & minmax edge".
Any suggesting for cleaner Z compositing using Houdini COPs?

Cheers,

Floyd