[Sidefx-houdini-list] object ID passes

Larry Giunta larry at gcreativestudios.com
Fri Nov 4 10:08:34 EDT 2016

> On Nov 4, 2016, at 6:33 AM, Ron Schab <ron.schab at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'm with Dave.  I have found takes to be a great tool but they can
> potentially also end up in a bit of a mess if not used very carefully.
>
> As for separate phantom renders just to get shadow and/or reflection passes
> ... I agree, quick to set up, but if I am not misunderstanding things here
> that also means quite a bit of a render time overhead compared to just
> writing them all out as separate passes and render the scene once instead
> of multiple times?

You’re absolutely correct, Ron. We tend to work on a wide range of agency and corporate marketing projects here ( not features, games, etc)
So often times that involve running many passes through quickly. For those tasks, it’s set it up quick,
pass it off to render …. and it’s wrapped up before you get the next task set.

I think this is where we find “takes”, “phantom” options, etc quick and easy in the heat of the crunch.

Again, no big pipe lines or teams of people to coordinate with and that is a huge difference.

Definitely default to the guys setting up tools and procedure for larger projects/larger shops for the most efficient procedures.

I’ve been using Houdini for what seems like forever now and I continue to learn new/better ways to do various task weekly, if not daily
…. on this list and the other forums, etc. It’s a great community.