[Sidefx-houdini-list] object ID passes

Ron Schab ron.schab at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 06:33:25 EDT 2016

I'm with Dave.  I have found takes to be a great tool but they can
potentially also end up in a bit of a mess if not used very carefully.

As for separate phantom renders just to get shadow and/or reflection passes
... I agree, quick to set up, but if I am not misunderstanding things here
that also means quite a bit of a render time overhead compared to just
writing them all out as separate passes and render the scene once instead
of multiple times?

I used to just create custom AOVs for that per material (and then of course
use different materials per object), however looking at the new-ish pbr
shaders I haven't found a cheap way to do that yet, as bindexport from BSDF
doesn't seem to work.  One way would be using one of the light-shops
between BSDF and bindexport but that seems to have some render time
overhead also.
What's the best/fastest way to write out i.e. a custom reflection AOV these
days?

cheers
Ron

Ron Schab