[Sidefx-houdini-list] How to modify default value of parameter in HDA with hom

Sandy Sutherland sandy.maillists at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 12:56:58 EDT 2016

Hi All,

I have been trying to modify the default value of an existing parameter of
an existing HDA using python - I have tried the following, which does not
seem to work, even though it does seem to set it on the template, it is not
written back to the parameter on the asset -

import hou

mn = hou.selectedNodes()[0]
parm_group = mn.parmTemplateGroup()
parm_template = parm_group.find('refl_brdf')
parm_template.setDefaultValue(('1',))
parm_group.replace(parm_template.name(), parm_template)
mn.setParmTemplateGroup(parm_group)

The default value is currently ('0',).

Ideas?  Where am I going wrong?  I did start to investigate what the
parm_group holds as basic, and seems to be a collection of folder
templates, which you can grab, and in there are other folder
templates........ in other words, diving into a rabbit warren.

The simple method above, does find the correct parm template, I can print
it and see everything, but it just does not set it back!

Thanks

S.