[Sidefx-houdini-list] object ID passes

Peter Bowmar pbowmar at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 10:21:29 EDT 2016

All shadow casting control is done on the Light's Shadow Mask.

There is no way to set an object to cast shadows on others but not cast on
itself.

Likewise, all light controls are per-object, you can't tell a light to not
illuminate an object.

This used to be fixable (with a lot of work) using message passing between
custom light and surface shaders, however with PBR I think this is much
harder now :(

Cheers,

Peter B

On 3 November 2016 at 07:14, Gary Jaeger <gary at corestudio.com> wrote:

> And related (at least to this job) is there a way to set objects to not
> cast shadows? I'm thinking here of the maya render settings where it's
> possible to set things like "casts shadows" "receives shadows" "visible in
> reflections" etc
>
> Thanks!
>
> On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 6:34 AM, Gary Jaeger <gary at corestudio.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi. I’m looking for a way to generate object IDs ala v-ray multi-mattes
> or
> > similar. So adding a channel to an exr where objectA matte is in the red,
> > objectB is in the green, etc.
> >
> > *Gary Jaeger */ 650.728.7957 direct / 415.518.1419 mobile
> > http://corestudio.com
> >

> --
> Gary Jaeger // Core Studio
> 249 Princeton Avenue
> Half Moon Bay, CA 94019
> 650.728.7957 (direct) • 650.728.7060 (main)
> http://corestudio.com

Peter B