[Sidefx-houdini-list] Setting LUT using python for mplay

Peter Bowmar pbowmar at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 13:15:15 EDT 2016

You can do it via the menu (I have it working) it's just clumsy, you have
to call Hscript via HOM. The fact you can't save an image via a script in
Mplay is just embarrassing though, so you can't save an Mplay render out to
another viewer for example.

It's worse in Houdini, there is currently no way to identify an IPR viewer
on a desktop, so if you want to change the LUT in Houdini you have to
change _every_ LUT on _every_ IPR viewer and COP viewer on the current
desktop. When you change desktops things get out of sync quickly and things
get really ugly fast.

Hopefully the next version of Houdini will resolve these issues, they
pretty important if Houdini is to be taken seriously as a lighting package.
IMO :)

Cheers,

Peter B

On 31 March 2016 at 08:14, Sandy Sutherland <sandy.maillists at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thanks Peter,
>
> I might just do some sort of Company specific menu item, which would then
> just simply set HOUDINI_IMAGE_DISPLAY_LUT, before you run Mplay, seems to
> work in a simple way.  Will look into Hscript anyway also.
>
> Cheers
>
> Sandy
>
> On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 3:21 PM, Peter Bowmar <pbowmar at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Sandy,
> >
> > HOM can't do it unfortunately, however you can crudely hack something
> > together using Hscript commands. I forget the exact command (no Houdini
> > open) but it is something like view2d.
> >
> > Scripting Mplay and the IPR VIewer in Houdini is wildly out of date, and
> > there is a large group of Pipe TDs who weep daily trying to script these
> > things, including me ;)
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Peter B
> >
> > On 31 March 2016 at 05:09, Sandy Sutherland <sandy.maillists at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > A couple of quick questions.
> > >
> > > I know I can use HOUDINI_IMAGE_DISPLAY_LUT to set a LUT to use, but
> would
> > > ideally prefer to modify the MainMenuMPlay.xml file to hijack the
> select
> > > LUT function.  I could create a Qt combobox with a selection of Studio
> or
> > > Project based LUTS and allow the Artist to select which ones he wants,
> > but
> > > cannot find if there is a hom command to set the LUT.  Anyone done this
> > > before?  Anyone know how to set this?
> > >
> > > My basic idea is to stop Artists having to navigate to a folder to load
> > LUT
> > > files.
> > >
> > > Many thanks
> > >
> > > Sandy