[Sidefx-houdini-list] Guided Ocean sim

François Duchesneau sidefx at trinix.ca
Sat Mar 12 14:34:56 EST 2016

What do you mean by, an .abc of that sim? If you're referring to the
ocean toolkit water pattern generation, well you have it live to deform
any geometry you pipe into the same Ocean Evaluate that you used to
generated the map for your MR render.

Regarding the foam, I wasn't very happy with the foam generated from the
Ocean Evaluate and I used my own particle sim emitted from the Ocean
Evaluate. I get more details, more control and it simulates faster while
still being emitted at the cusp of waves. I do it on a flat grid
matching the Ocean Spectrum size starting with a reasonable amount of
polys. Then I delete all polys that are out of range of the cusp
attribute. From there I scatter points and do the same process, this
time the Ocean Spectrum gives me a more precise cusp attribute on those
points. This becomes my emitter. I then render this flat particles sim
on a texture that will match the ocean toolkit setup.

For my shots I had boat splashes for like 500 boats so I came up with a
system where I made a boat splash flat from the center of the world and
snapped it everywhere a boat was, adapting again on the ocean surface
just by using the same Ocean Evaluate.

If you're talking about wave splashes then you can deform a mesh and use
a technique similar to the foam approach but not on a flat grid. I
haven't had to do that either but I thought Houdini had a shelf tool for
that kind of effect.

Hope it gives some ideas for different options.

Francois