[Sidefx-houdini-list] Semi OT : What is the best processor to run simulation (flip) for Houdini ?

François Duchesneau sidefx at trinix.ca
Wed Jun 29 12:25:04 EDT 2016

Lately I've been doing a lot of work remotely on my laptop with an
i7-5700HQ and as I was pretty happy about the performances so I started
to do benchmarks at different studios I work as well to compare.
Surprisingly the sims I ran weren't a great deal faster on their Xeon
multi-core workstations.

Somebody mentioned here or on the forum that i7s are restricted to 64GB
of RAM. If it's the case that would be a reason why I would go toward a
Xeon vs a i7 on a workstation. However if it's not the case and if I was
to buy a workstation I would definitely do more serious benchmarks
because it looks like a fast i7 might be faster in many cases especially
for lower res sims.

I don't know about you but I spend a lot more time tweaking and
validating parameters on a lower res sim than I do on the final which is
most of the time something I send overnight or on a computer on the
farm. Thus the advantage of being faster on very high res is not as
important then.

Please keep us informed of what you find.

Thanks

François