[Sidefx-houdini-list] Laser Beam

Sean Lewkiw slew at dneg.com
Wed Feb 24 14:45:36 EST 2016

For these kinds of things, the basic approach I'd take is this:

  * two nulls in world space for start and end of beam (or more nulls if
    you want to curve the beam).  This allows you a lot more control by
    parenting, animating, etc.
  * object merge the null's point SOPs into a new object
  * use an add sop to turn the two points into a line
  * if you need to add some complexity, you can resample the line and
    add noise
  * you can also use a carve SOP to animate the length of the line
    (after resampling of course)
  * render as a line, or skin it and render it with some noise or shaping

Sean

On 02/24/2016 11:08 AM, Zoran Arizanovic wrote:
> Yes exactly
> our guys at the time when I was at MPC did this kind of fx for angels and
> demons
> and if you saw raw renders it was very "basic" most of the magic happens in
> comp
> Clever noise or chops deformations on lines or geo should do it
>

> Zoran Arizanovic
> LinkedIn <http://www.linkedin.com/pub/zoran-arizanovic/4/177/295>
>

> On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 7:56 PM, François Duchesneau <sidefx at trinix.ca>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi, can you point us to a link of what you have in mind? If it's what I
>> think you can probably just do it with a line. A lot of that kind of effect
>> happens in comp with a glow.
>>
>> Francois
>>

>> On 02/24/2016 01:16 PM, Bloomer, Justin Douglas wrote:
>>
>>> Hello List,
>>>
>>> I am a bit new to the whole particles with Houdini and I have gone over
>>> some tutorials to get the basics down, but I don't know the best way to
>>> approach this.
>>>
>>> I want to create a laser blast effect like from a futuristic gun.
>>> Something
>>> like the ones from the Star Wars clone guns would be fine.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have any recommendations about the best way to make that?
>>>
>>> Sincerely,
>>>
>>> JEEBS

Sean Lewkiw
CG Sup - Double Negative Vancouver