[Sidefx-houdini-list] HDA script management

Peter Bowmar pbowmar at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 16:34:57 EST 2016

Hi Andy,

Yes, for sure you could edit externally then build the Python into the HDA
for publish. "hotl" (the command line tool) will be one of your friends
here, unless you want to pull an Hscript license and do it via Hython and
HOM.

I've done something similar recently for the Tools section of HDAs, and it
works quite well.

Cheers,

Peter B

On 23 February 2016 at 13:22, Andy Nicholas <andy at andynicholas.com> wrote:

> Okay, so having thought about it further, I’m partially going to answer my
> own question here…
>
> It seems that it’s never gonna be a good idea to import Python modules
> live into an HDA (unless they’re built-ins or stable core studio pipeline
> modules, etc.) for the reasons I mentioned in my first email.
>
> So given that, then the only option is to store the code internally. But
> maybe there’s a hybrid approach that might work. What if we edit and store
> the code externally, and have a system so that when we save the HDA, the
> code is *copied* into the HDA so that it gets stored within. That way,
> there’s never an issue with synchronising versions. If it could be
> automated (and lets face it, we wouldn’t want to do it manually), then
> there’s no reason you couldn’t get it to trigger a git commit at the same
> time to update the repo.
>
> If anyone has any thoughts about that as an approach or if you’ve done
> something similar, I’d love to hear (on or off list).

> > On 23 Feb 2016, at 15:40, Andy Nicholas <andy at andynicholas.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hey folks,
> > I've been getting further into HDA authoring and have been writing a lot
> of HDA embedded python scripts. One thing I'm missing is not writing Python
> in my favourite IDE (PyCharm) with all the benefits that brings, like reuse
> of code, being able to do Diffs, and being able to manage code versioning
> through Git. Ideally I'd like to have all my HDA Python code stored
> externally.
> >
> > So I was just wondering if anyone had got a workflow going with
> versioning HDAs and externally imported python modules? Seems like it could
> be a can of worms having to make sure that the version of the asset matches
> the correct version of imported python module. Any HDAs used on a job would
> have to have a corresponding python module available in the path and it's
> hard to see how conflicts could be managed easily (especially since
> multiple versions of the same HDA could be used in the same Hip file).
> >
> > Anyone have any experience trying to manage this in their set up?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Andy

Peter B