[Sidefx-houdini-list] HDA script management

Andy Nicholas andy at andynicholas.com
Tue Feb 23 16:22:50 EST 2016

Okay, so having thought about it further, I’m partially going to answer my own question here…

It seems that it’s never gonna be a good idea to import Python modules live into an HDA (unless they’re built-ins or stable core studio pipeline modules, etc.) for the reasons I mentioned in my first email.

So given that, then the only option is to store the code internally. But maybe there’s a hybrid approach that might work. What if we edit and store the code externally, and have a system so that when we save the HDA, the code is *copied* into the HDA so that it gets stored within. That way, there’s never an issue with synchronising versions. If it could be automated (and lets face it, we wouldn’t want to do it manually), then there’s no reason you couldn’t get it to trigger a git commit at the same time to update the repo.

If anyone has any thoughts about that as an approach or if you’ve done something similar, I’d love to hear (on or off list).