[Sidefx-houdini-list] HDA script management

Andy Nicholas andy at andynicholas.com
Tue Feb 23 10:40:05 EST 2016

Hey folks,
I've been getting further into HDA authoring and have been writing a lot
of HDA embedded python scripts. One thing I'm missing is not writing
Python in my favourite IDE (PyCharm) with all the benefits that brings,
like reuse of code, being able to do Diffs, and being able to manage
code versioning through Git. Ideally I'd like to have all my HDA Python
code stored externally.

So I was just wondering if anyone had got a workflow going with
versioning HDAs and externally imported python modules? Seems like it
could be a can of worms having to make sure that the version of the
asset matches the correct version of imported python module. Any HDAs
used on a job would have to have a corresponding python module available
in the path and it's hard to see how conflicts could be managed easily
(especially since multiple versions of the same HDA could be used in the
same Hip file).

Anyone have any experience trying to manage this in their set up?

Cheers,
Andy