[Sidefx-houdini-list] Ocean Surface - displacement to camera

François Duchesneau sidefx at trinix.ca
Mon Feb 15 11:35:05 EST 2016

I'm currently working on an ocean setup as well. I render in Arnold but
the logic should be the same in Mantra.

What I do is I have a digital asset I made that simply deforms an
incoming from the ocean evaluate. By the way my preview grid compresses
the polygons closer to the camera to get details in front and not worry
to much about the horizon.

 From this asset I apply different procedural noise to mix, multiply etc
different ocean spectrums via the ocean evaluate. I use this same
digital asset to generate reveal or influence maps that matches the ones
I've got in my previews. Than at render time I just multiply the vector
displacement by those maps with the same logic I did in the hda.

In your case since you want to have control on your multiplier map, you
can make one in vop based on whatever rule you decide and bake the map
out of that.

Hope this help

Francois