[Sidefx-houdini-list] Hi

Michael Dunkley mdunkley at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 18:46:23 EST 2016

*I could be very wrong about this* but I believe that the D_ is
actually shorthand for "define," as they effectively operate as
Houdini-wide C / C++ style #defines.  All of the D_ words ultimately
evaluate as integers by the time the function uses it.  That is to
say, these two are identical:

centroid("../path",D_X)          <--- D_X will evaluate as zero
centroid("../path",0)

In the case of the bbox function (for instance), its easier to use the
defines as its often tough to know which integer stands for which
functionality.  Centroid is a little easier to use w/ just numbers -
D_X, D_Y, D_Z are the only options and evaluate to 0,1,2 respectively.
That said, technically speaking i think you could also use D_XMIN,
D_YMIN, and D_ZMIN in leiu of these, as they also evaluate to 0,1,2.
Confusing, I know.

You can test any of this by entering any of the D_'s into a normal
number box and clicking it to see what it evaluates to.

All of this said, I completely agree with Francois' sentiment that its
probably better to just learn then conventions and let their necessity
become clearer as time goes on.  Houdini, for the most part, is very
logically consistent, and a lot of the one-off and seemingly
inconsistent stuff you have to learn up front (like these defines and
local variables) are often more the exception than the rule for
day-to-day Houdini use.

Mike