[Sidefx-houdini-list] voxelizing objects

Gary Jaeger gary at corestudio.com
Sun Dec 4 12:24:15 EST 2016

I’m working on a technique, and with some reading, experimenting and help from Ron Schab I’m close, but I think there might be a faster way to achieve what I want.

The basic gag is one we’ve all seen: an object is broken up into cubes and either disintegrates or assembles itself.

For the actual voxelizing I’m feeding the shape (torus for testing) into a points from volume (with a bit of scaled bounds upstream) and feeding that into a voronoi fracture. Works fine and I get the cubes I want including the proper outer shell mesh.

But for the animation part, since I don’t care about actual dynamics or the shapes interacting with each other at all, it seems like there should be a way to add some turbulance etc and make the pieces fly around. Ron suggested calculating the centroids, using that as a particle source and copying each piece back to it’s proper particle position. Seems like a nice, fast effect but I’m struggling to see how to hook that up and where the centroid expression goes.

Any thoughts on a low overhead way to achieve this?

Thanks!

Gary Jaeger / 650.728.7957 direct / 415.518.1419 mobile