[Sidefx-houdini-list] big point scenes

Neil Dickson ndickson at sidefx.com
Mon Aug 15 10:58:08 EDT 2016

Either should work, though I'd expect fewer bugs with PBR / raytrace
than with micropolygon.  I think it was in 15.0 that I did a big
optimization of rendering points, (as long as they're not
displacement-shaded), and renders with several million points and
nothing else got something like 60x faster and used 10x less memory than
before, so several million points rendered as spheres with default
settings and default material rendered in less than 10 seconds.

By default, points render as spheres now, though there's a setting to
change it back to discs, and pscale is now interpreted as a radius by
default, though there's a setting to change it back to a diameter.

Cheers,
Neil