[Sidefx-houdini-list] (no subject)

David Johnson daveinengland at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 19:30:47 EDT 2016

Hello Houdniks!

I have a piece of geometry that is high resolution and I would like to
simplify the geometry and use a displacement map to recover the
complexity.

The general idea would be to take a gathered curtain, replace it with
a flat grid, and use an XYZ displacement map to get the folds back
into the flat grid at render time.

Is there a straightforward way to do this in Houdini 14? I saw
recently that there is a baking technique in h15, but I can't upgrade
right now, since we're in the middle of a big production.

Maybe if I used h15 to create the displacement map, could I then use
the texture in h14?

Dave